Thursday 3 October 2013

Q&A with a transgender woman


So yes this is about a male turned female. I didn't ask these questions they're just things that she has been asked by other people.

When did you become transgender?

When I was about 16-17 I started experimenting with dressing in women's clothes and shoes, but I didn't fully become aware of my identity until I was 18 (which was when I began to acknowledge myself as Transgender). I'm 20 now so it's still early days

Can you please explain your sexuality a bit more? if you don't mind! And what made you become a transgender. :-)

Well I'm in the process of changing my gender from Male to Female, I'm considered Pre-Op because I have yet to have the Gender Reassignment Surgery required for the change to be complete - its very expensive and also you have to wait years until you'll be eligible to do so. I've taken on this identity at the young age that I am because I wasn't happy with my original gender and I feel much better already knowing I'm on my way to become a female.

how long will it take before your a full woman?

Oh I'm still a very long way off, if anything I kind of haven't started - just trying to adjust first and then I'll get into the hormones.

are you a fafa?

If you mean as in Fa'afa'afine then no! I'm Transgender, there's a difference

whats the difference and does that mean you like men?

Transgender are those who are in the process of changing their gender, Fa'afa'afine do not have that desire to do so. And yes I do like guys

Are you gay?

Nope! I consider myself a straight woman

Until you complete the process and are legally a female. Are you really able to call yourself a straight women and not a gay man for the time being?

I'm not a fan of labels but this got me curious about the subject.
I consider myself a straight woman because I'm not living my life as a male and I choose not to be considered a gay male simply because I don't look, act, talk or walk like a male and I'm doing this as part of my everyday life - not as a part time job at nights. So yeah I'm still legally male (which sucks) but my appearance is that of a female. Hope that helps

But you still look like a man?

That's only because I have yet to start hormones so I may have quite a boyish figure still, but that will soon change. I'm already wearing bras and done other things to try and make myself look more womanly, but I know that it's a huge process that can take years to fulfil
                                                                                                                                                                  
As you can see there is quite a process in becoming transgender.
1. Voice, clothes and manner.
2.Therapy.
3. Taking hormones.
4. Certain hair removal which can cost so much and be so painful.
5. Many will go through cosmetic surgery to make themselves appear more feminine. (breast implants, facial construction etc.)
6. Then theres the 'parts' reconstruction.

So much is involved with becoming the gender they feel that they are and it amazes me how strong they are to go through that stuff to become who they know they are. Incredible *claps*

No comments:

Post a Comment